Thursday, January 30, 2014

Sour Cream Apple Pie



This pie is a wonderful mix of a custard pie with an apple pie and is one of my new favorites! In our family, my mom's apple pie is a must at every winter family dinner. Recently when I had an overabundance of apples, I went through my recipes to look for something different to try and found this recipe that my mom gave me years ago but I had never gotten around to making. I am SO GLAD I finally tried it because it is a real keeper! Since I made the Impossible Pie some time ago and discovered a new-found love of custard pies and all the different ways to work custards into desserts, this pie was right up my alley-- and not that difficult. 

unbaked pie with custard and apple before crumb topping was added

Finished pie
Serves: 8
Ingredients:
  • 1 unbaked 9-10 inch pie crust
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/2-3/4 cup sugar, depending on sweetness of apples
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp flour
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 3 cups chopped apples
Topping:
  • 1/3 cup brown or white sugar- or a mix (I used all brown)
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 3/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup cool butter
  • 1/3 cup crushed nuts (walnuts or pecans work well)
Directions:
  • Preheat oven at 375 degrees F.
  • Chop apples and set aside.
  • Prepare unbaked pie crust in pie pan.
  • Combine eggs, sour cream, sugar, salt, 2 Tbsp flour, vanilla and nutmeg and stir until smooth. 
  • Add in apples and pour into the prepared unbaked crust.
  • Bake for 15 minutes. Meanwhile combine topping ingredients using a fork to cut the butter into other ingredients until it is combined into pea-sized clumps.
  • Sprinkle over top of pie when finished with 1st 15 minute bake and bake for another 20-25 minutes or until filling is set when you lightly jiggle pie. 
  • Cool completely and serve alone or with whipped cream, ice cream or caramel syrup. Refrigerate leftovers.
Adapted from a Taste Of Home recipe.


1 comment:

  1. I like apple pies, I also tried making something similar with sour cream before :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive feedback . So feel free to leave me a message and make my day! If you have a blog, leave a link so I can stop by your site and leave some comments, too. If you don't have a blog, you can leave a message with your first name and leave the website space empty. Unfortunately, due to excessive spam, I have enabled the word verification in order to leave a message.